Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Recalibrating


"But let all things be done decently and in order."  1 Corinthians 14:40

     It's fall break for this mom teacher!  After having an unusually busy summer and getting right into the school year without much time to clean or organize our environment, I have to admit that the clutter and piles were really getting to me.  I decided last week that fall break would be earlier than planned (huge advantage of being in charge of our home schooling schedule - flexibility!) and that I would spend much of this break decluttering and organizing every square foot of our home. Piled books?  Shelved.  Cluttered drawers?  Neat!  Moldy food and outdated canned goods?  Trashed!  Outgrown and outdated clothes?  Well, I'm kind of an outdated sort of gal (ask my kids) so I held on to my flannel button up shirts and relaxed fit jeans.  But now I can see what I have, which was my goal.  What about all of those cords, cables, chargers, and other electronic mysteries that have sat in a drawer for way too long with no one to claim them?  They've taken a trip to electronic wasteland.   
     My personality is one that craves order. Thus I cling to 1 Corinthians 14:40 when my disorderly family members seem to fall short of this glory!  After all, maybe I need to preach that verse to them (which I realize is actually addressing corporate church worship).  But do those darling mess-makers need to know that?  I think I'll keep that truth to myself! (tongue-in-cheek).  Actually,  I have learned to tolerate a certain amount of disarray and disorganization since this entire creation is in a downward spiral. A home does have to be lived in.  My children are probably the most creative and artsy kids on the planet so they will make messes.  It's a part of daily life! (I know to prove I'm a good mother that I have to say that even though inside the messes stress me.) And because I really don't want to be the one whose OCD tendencies drive my family members to the looney bin.  I'm sure you discovered many moons ago that anything that is neglected has the tendency to fall apart, multiply (like unmatched socks), and decay. That's called defaulting.  I can only live under default settings for so long until I think I will just check in to said looney bin if I don't get things "under control".  Hence, our early fall break!
My Personal Junk Drawer (Before)

My Spice Cabinet (Please don't slobber on your keyboard)

My Personal Junk Drawer (After) Yes, you can try this at home!

     Yes, I'm feeling pretty good right now.  Orderly surroundings. Clean closets.  Meats categorized. Spices accounted for.  I can bask in this, but only for awhile because I know that far more important is the recalibration of my priorities and plans as I try to live a life on purpose that will bring about dividends of blessing.
     My hope (and prayer!) is to  recalibrate our learning schedule and goals before next week rolls around.  Exactly what do I mean by recalibrate?  Here is the dictionary's definition: to check, adjust, or determine by comparison with a standard. I have recalibrated my living environment and hoping I can keep it in this shape for awhile.  Now I'm ready to work on where my time goes and analyze whether it's being spent on valuable and even eternal activities.
     So I will take time, effort, research, and reflection to compare the "standard" with what we are doing in our home school and how we're doing it.  The standard is something that I must have eyes to see. And ears to hear.  I have got to be willing to adjust my methods and my priorities in order to get a little closer to it. Notice I said closer.  I already know (after 25 years of trying to reach the standard) that I will never get there!  I only have to do my best to listen to God's voice.  Each day.  Every day.  Lead me Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment